Amazon India has partnered with the Nagaland government and the National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC) to enable women entrepreneurs in the state to sell their products online.
#DigitalErra Thought Corner
- Under the partnership, Amazon will conduct extensive training and skill development workshops to help women entrepreneurs in Nagaland understand nuances related to online selling, Amazon India said in a statement today.
- The programme aims to encourage cottage industries in Nagaland by helping them grow through online commerce. As part of the initiative, a one-stop centre will be created.
- Amazon India aims to promote the flourishing cottage industries in the region and unlock unique selection of products such as hand-woven items, intricate metalwork, woodwork, stonework, pottery and basketry, it said.
- “Through this partnership, we look forward to fostering entrepreneurship and empowerment among women in Nagaland by giving them the opportunity to experience India’s digital economy firsthand,” Amazon India Director and GM (Seller Services) Gopal Pillai said.
eCommerce Firms Promoting Women Entrepreneurship
- If you look back, it has been for some good time that eCommerce firms have been formulating a long term future roadmap for supporting women entrepreneurs in the country.
- Last year, Snapdeal and FICCI Ladies Organization (FLO) had signed an agreement to kick-start the “Women Entrepreneurship (WE) in e-commerce” Through the initiative, Snapdeal and FICCI FLO pledged to enable digital inclusion for 4,000 women entrepreneurs and artisans, affiliated to FICCI FLO chapters across 15 locations in India.
- Similarly Paytm have been encouraging women entrepreneurs who have taken a digital stride on their platform.
- With specialized training, skill development workshops, technology support and market access at zero initial cost, the initiatives can lead to the overall advancement of women e-entrepreneurs ecosystem.
Increasing Web-Based Business
2017 would see a mammoth increase in Web based business amongst Women Entrepreneurs. It decreases cost and increases productivity. The availability of Internet-based technology gives Women Entrepreneurs more control over brand development, marketing and customer engagement. Government initiatives also help them to develop skills and capabilities necessary to nurture successful online enterprises.
India is the fastest growing e-commerce market in the region and we need to further encourage women to foray into this area. Initiatives taken by eCommerce firms will facilitate the process of women empowerment by providing them a digital platform to promote their businesses.